Be honest, who hasn’t bitten into a piece of fruit or cut off a slice of cheese only to discover mold hiding on the other side? It’s slightly traumatic and may cause an instinctual nauseous reaction, but no real damage is done. However chronic exposure to mold in our environment, such as the bathroom, is a different story.
Mold sensitivity is all the buzz in the health and wellness community in response biohacker Dave Asprey and other industry pioneers’ mold toxicity awareness efforts. Studies show prolonged mold exposure can lead to fatigue, headaches, digestive issues, a weakened immune system, and many more symptoms! If you’re a DIY kind of person we’re sharing 3 ways to personally get rid of mold, however in some cases it’s better to leave it to the professionals.
The most common forms of household mold include aspergillus, chaetomium, Penicillium, and stachybotrys (more commonly known as Black Mold). Many common household molds can take on a black appearance, but not all of them are dangerous to your health. The best thing you can do to prevent mold is to understand where it grows and what it needs.
Tip #1: Preventing and Stopping the Spread of Mold
Mold needs moisture to grow and is most often found in damp building materials or moist, dimly-lit spaces. Bathrooms, attics, basements, kitchens, behind drywalls and beneath floorboards are all high risk areas for mold and should be checked regularly.
Sources of the moisture could be attributed to poor ventilation in the bathroom, a leaky sink or condensation from plumbing. Identifying and monitoring these high risk areas will help you catch a mold problem early and prevent it from spreading.
Frequent ventilation: When showering or cooking in contained areas, open windows and run fans. If you live in a very humid region, ensure dehumidifiers are working properly within your HVAC system. Prop open doors in rooms or small areas that smell musty, such as washing machines, to encourage air flow.
Tip #2: Invest in Mold Resistant Products
If you’ve got the budget to build or renovate, ensure you’re investing in mold-resistant drywall and mold inhibiting paint. For everyday items seek out products, such as the Dorai Bath Stone, that eliminate moisture in the environment, so mold can’t grow. Fabrics and many wood based products aren’t designed for ventilation and frequently produce that musty smell that signals bacteria growth. Consider using silicone or Diatomaceous Earth based products, such as Dorai, in areas that are frequently exposed to water: under sinks, near tubs, and in the kitchen for dishes.
Tip #3: Kill the Mold with Without Introducing Harsh Chemicals
If you can see mold starting to grow on bathroom tile or a window sill, then chances are that it is safe to clean. All it takes is soap, water, and a lot of elbow grease. For your protection make sure to wear gloves. If soap isn’t doing the trick you can use a solution of borax and water. Combine 1 cup of borax to a gallon of water, spray the area, and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it away. After cleaning the mold make sure the area is well ventilated so it can properly dry, removing the environment for future mold to grow. If the moldy area is large but still safe to tackle yourself, invest in a pump sprayer to make clean up faster.
Bonus Tip: Do not use bleach. Bleach will change the color but with not eliminate the environment for mold to grow, plus you’ll likely inhale bleach fumes and mold spores, making for a toxic ingestion combo.
Finally, even the most hard core DIYer should turn to the professionals in extreme situations. If mold is growing in the walls, floors, and other large areas or you're feeling ill with no explained cause, then it’s time to call in help. A non-visual, warning sign for mold is that damp, musty odor (you may recall from visiting old, neglected houses). First stop any visible moisture sources, then get a professional to eradicate mold from the environment. Letting a mold problem fester can cause allergies, headaches, sinus problems, rashes, and a slew of other symptoms.
A warning sign of mold you can’t see is a damp musty odor. If areas of your home have this odor check for damp carpet or walls to identify the potential source. When you find the source assess the damage. If it is a fairly large patch of mold, but was created by leaky pipes, then fixing the pipe and having a professional clean the mold is probably enough to keep it away.
Mold can be sneaky and the health consequences of mold exposure are not to be taken lightly! Keep your eyes and nose on alert for mold and build a routine to prevent it without causing further damage. Health and wellness isn't always pretty, but we’re here to help with instant-drying Dorai products for the damp spaces in your home!