Does anyone else get genuinely excited about a dedicated cleaning day when spring comes around? Don’t get me wrong, the ongoing chore of cleaning isn’t something I get jazzed about, but allocating a weekend to make your house sparkle is a different type of satisfaction.
As a team of clean home enthusiasts, we’ve compiled a list of 12 home cleaning hacks that are amazingly effective, without requiring significant time or the use of harsh chemicals. All the suggestions below can be accomplished with a few everyday ingredients to help keep your home and the environment free of undesirable chemicals.
Dorai Home’s Spring Cleaning Hacks
- Easily clean up a dirty microwave by filling a glass bowl halfway with water and squeezing in a lemon. Microwave for 4-5 minutes and let it sit with the door shut to utilize steam to remove old residue. Safely remove the bowl with an oven mitt and quickly wipe down the interior.
- Disinfect your sponge by running it through a cycle in the dishwasher.
- Boil vinegar in your electric kettle to remove mineral deposits / hard watermarks.
- Sprinkle your couch or mattress with baking soda and let it sit for 3-hours then vacuum it up. You can do the same thing with sneakers to freshen up your feet!
- Eliminate fungus and bugs in soggy plant soil with Diatomaceous Earth. Might we also suggest purchasing Diatomaceous Earth products that help prevent fungus and mildew, such as the Dorai Bath Stone, which makes a perfect base for your plant?
- Clean your phone cases by putting them on the top shelf in the dishwasher. While they are washing spray your phones with Force of Nature and let them sit for 10 minutes to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses.
- Put the glass covers of your light fixtures on the top shelf of your dishwasher and run it for a light cycle with heated dry to prevent watermarks.
- Squeegee shower door after every shower.
- Wash your pillow in the washing machine on a delicate cycle then dry it in the dryer.
- When mopping, carry around an old plastic card or plastic dish scraper to quickly cut through dried spills.
- Remove mineral stains from the tray under the fridge water dispenser by soaking paper towels in white vinegar and draping them over the water tray. Wait 3-5 hours and they will wipe right off.
- Prevent cleaning overwhelm by starting with the floor. Get everything off of the floor and onto a couch/bed or into a bin. Vacuum or sweep, then get to organizing and prioritizing cleaning tasks once you already have momentum and a quick win.
We hope you get as excited about trying these 12 home cleaning hacks as we did when we first learned about them! One of our favorite things about Dorai's instant-drying home products is that they don't require much routine cleaning. The occasional spray of Force of Nature and sanding and you're good to go! Happy Spring Cleaning!